Log In

Log In

Forgot Your Password?

Cart Subtotal: $0.00

Sharlot M. Hall and Ernest and Molly Behrend at Sharlot Hall Museum

Availability: In stock

Quick Overview

Sharlot M. Hall and Ernest and Molly Behrend with Sharlot Hall Museum buildings in background.In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. October 27, 1870, d. April 9, 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.
Ernst Richard Behrend (b. March 29,1869, d. September 22, 1940) was born in Germany and after receiving an engineering degree, he emigrated to the United States in 1896 and worked in the paper industry. After his father raised the investment capital to build a sulfite pulp and paper mill, he co-founded, with his father and brother, the Hammermill Paper Company in Erie, Pennsylvania. Mr. Behrend served as its president for its first 40 years, and by the late 1920’s, the company had about 80% of the paper market. He was a prominent civic leader in Erie, serving on a number of boards until his death in 1940. He was inducted into the Paper Industry International Hall of Fame in 2012.
Mary Brownell Behrend (b.December 26,1879, d. July 5, 1976), nicknamed Molly, was a Newport, Rhode Island debutante before marrying Ernst Behrend in 1907. The couple had two children. Their only son died in a traffic accident in 1929, and after her husband’s death in 1940, she donated the family’s country estate, the Glenhill farmhouse and the 400 acres surrounding it, to Penn State University. The Behrend Center was dedicated in 1940 as a memorial to Ernst and it later became Penn State Erie, The Behrend College. Mrs. Behrend became known as the “mother” of Penn State Behrend.
Click main image to zoom & pan

* Required Fields

Details

Creator: Ernst and Molly Behrend
File Name: pb146f34i4.jpg
Location: MS-12 - Box 19 - Folder 9
Medium: B&W
New Call Number: 1928-0001-0270
Old Call Number: PB-146f34i4
Original Format: Print
Photo Collection: Sharlot M. Hall
Photo Date: 1933-34
Rights: Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Size: 4X6

Additional Info

Old Call Number PB-146f34i4
New Call Number 1928-0001-0270
Photo Collection Sharlot M. Hall
Location MS-12 - Box 19 - Folder 9
Creator Ernst and Molly Behrend
Distributor No
Photo Date 1933-34
Medium B&W
Original Format Print
Size 4X6
File Name pb146f34i4.jpg
Rights Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Staff Notes No
Description Sharlot M. Hall and Ernest and Molly Behrend with Sharlot Hall Museum buildings in background.In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. October 27, 1870, d. April 9, 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Ernst Richard Behrend (b. March 29,1869, d. September 22, 1940) was born in Germany and after receiving an engineering degree, he emigrated to the United States in 1896 and worked in the paper industry. After his father raised the investment capital to build a sulfite pulp and paper mill, he co-founded, with his father and brother, the Hammermill Paper Company in Erie, Pennsylvania. Mr. Behrend served as its president for its first 40 years, and by the late 1920’s, the company had about 80% of the paper market. He was a prominent civic leader in Erie, serving on a number of boards until his death in 1940. He was inducted into the Paper Industry International Hall of Fame in 2012. Mary Brownell Behrend (b.December 26,1879, d. July 5, 1976), nicknamed Molly, was a Newport, Rhode Island debutante before marrying Ernst Behrend in 1907. The couple had two children. Their only son died in a traffic accident in 1929, and after her husband’s death in 1940, she donated the family’s country estate, the Glenhill farmhouse and the 400 acres surrounding it, to Penn State University. The Behrend Center was dedicated in 1940 as a memorial to Ernst and it later became Penn State Erie, The Behrend College. Mrs. Behrend became known as the “mother” of Penn State Behrend.