Log In

Log In

Forgot Your Password?

Cart Subtotal: $0.00
Sharlot Hall and two women at Pauline Weaver's stone
Sharlot Hall and James Hall at Orchard Ranch gate
Sharlot Hall holding pan in lap
James Hall feeding peacocks at Orchard Ranch
Snow-covered trees at Orchard Ranch
Alice J. Stevens Tipton
Sharlot and her cousin Edward J. Boblett
Sharlot Hall and group at Highway Monument dedication
Sharlot Hall's dog, Watch, seated
Adeline Hall standing among mullein at ranch
Orchard Ranch house ruins from side and rear behind tree
Sharlot in profile with updo hairstyle
Sharlot M. Hall and two dogs at Orchard Ranch
Sharlot at 24 for Texas Farm & Ranch
James Knox Polk Hall Funeral Mourners
Sharlot Hall in copper dress with two men
prev
Sharlot Hall before Fort Misery on museum grounds

Sharlot Hall before Fort Misery on museum grounds

Sharlot Hall standing before Fort Misery on grounds of museum. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. October 27, 1870, d. April 9, 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.Fort Misery is believed to be the first building built in Prescott, constructed in late 1863 and early 1864 by Manuel Yrissari, a trader from New Mexico and used as a store. After serving as a boarding house operated by Mary Ramos (“Virgin Mary”), it was later purchased by Judge John Howard and used as his office, home and gathering place until 1892. The first session of the Supreme Court of the Arizona Territory was held there. After purchase and use by several other families, it was disassembled in 1934 and moved to the museum grounds where it was reassembled. In the mid 1990's it was restored to its original condition.


Sharlot M. Hall with Parrot

Sharlot M. Hall with Parrot

Sharlot M. Hall with parrot perched on hand.


Mr. and Mrs. William Tipton

Mr. and Mrs. William Tipton

William and Alice Tipton standing on steps in front of tree.


Sharlot Hall holding rifle standing before dog

Sharlot Hall holding rifle standing before dog

Sharlot Hall holding rifle and standing before dog. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths, returning to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.


Sharlot Hall and group of first movie colony

Sharlot Hall and group of first movie colony

Sharlot Hall with group of first movie colony. Top row, left to right Malcom Frazer, Dave Biles. Second row left to right J. P. Stewart (2), Sharlot Hall (4), Morris Goldwater (7), Margaret Hershfelt (8). Bottom row, Goldstein (Manager) and other movie people. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths, returning to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. David H. Biles (b. August 5, 1874, d. January 4,1959) was born in Holly Springs, Mississippi and moved to Prescott in 1900. Following the 1900 fire, he formed a partnership with Gerald Shelly, and they opened a men’s furnishing store in the St. Michael’s Hotel. He married Ethel T. Shull in 1904 and also in 1904, he moved his store with his new partner, Archie Lockhart, and operated it as Biles-Lockhart Clothing Company. In 1932 he was elected County Treasurer, a position he held for four years until being elected and serving for 12 years as County Assessor. His active charity work included the operation of a free employment agency. Morris Goldwater (b. January 16, 1852, d. April 11, 1939) was born in London, England to Michael and Sarah Goldwater. Michael and his brother, Joseph, operated retail stores in rural Arizona and Phoenix, and in 1876 Michael opened a store in Prescott, which was managed by Morris. Morris and his brothers, Joe and Baron (the father of Barry Goldwater, the Republican Party’s Presidential candidate in 1964), expanded the business into two stores. Morris established the Prescott Mine Exchange, was an organizer of the Prescott National Bank, the Prescott Rifles, and the Dudes volunteer fire company, and served in the Arizona Legislature. As Mayor of Prescott, a position he held for 22 nonconsecutive years, he led the construction of the city’s first water system and the Goldwater Dam, and the first paving of streets. In 1964 when Prescott celebrated its 100th anniversary, he was honored as Man of the Century. Herndon J. Norris (b. January 1, 1890, d. February 12, 1965) was born in Flagstaff, Arizona and was educated in Prescott, Yale University and the University of Virginia law school. He practiced law in Prescott until 1923 when he moved to California and opened a women’s apparel manufacturing business. He was a co-founder of the Smoki People, serving as second chief of Smoki in 1923. Edward A. Kastner (b. February 7, 1868, d. July 22, 1933) was born in Canada and moved to Prescott in his 20’s. He was the owner of a small confectionery which eventually grew into the Piggly Wiggly Kastner store in downtown Prescott. He was an active civic leader during the 40+ years of his Prescott residence.


Sharlot M. Hall at twenty-two

Sharlot M. Hall at twenty-two

Sharlot M. Hall at twenty-two years old, head & shoulder shot


Sharlot and James Hall with another couple

Sharlot and James Hall with another couple

Sharlot Hall and her father, James (right), in traveling clothes standing with an unidentified couple.


Sharlot Hall's cat, Major Brown, in suitcase

Sharlot Hall's cat, Major Brown, in suitcase

Sharlot Hall's cat, Major Brown, standing in suitcase at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths, returning to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.


next

Sharlot M. Hall, SHM MS-12

Items 31 to 45 of 324 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction
Switch View
  • Edward "Ted" Hall cutting rawhide

    Edward "Ted" Hall cutting rawhide into strips at Orchard Ranch. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall on Horseback with Two Other Riders

    Edward "Ted" Hall on horseback at right with 2 other riders at Orchard Ranch. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall on Horseback with Wagon

    Edward "Ted" Hall on horseback in middle with 2 other riders and wagon at Orchard Ranch.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall Seated & Reading Book

    Edward "Ted" Hall seated reading book facing front. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall Seated & Reading Book

    Edward "Ted" Hall seated reading book in profile. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward & Samuel Boblett as Children

    Edward and Samuel Boblett as children. These boys are Sharlot M. Hall's nephews. Samuel M. Boblett (b. 1862 - d. 1942) and Edward J. Boblett (b. 1866 - d. 1932) were born in Kansas to John C. and Amanda B. Boblett - Sharlot M. Hall’s uncle and aunt.

    Learn More |
  • Edward Hall on horseback

    Edward Hall on horseback with rope in hand. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874. The family moved to Lynx Creek, Arizona in 1879 to Orchard Ranch. His interest in mining engineering led him to Mexico in 1907 where he met and married a Mexican woman, Petra Acosta. The couple had seven children. This marriage caused an estrangement between Ted and his sister, Sharlot. Although Ted and Petra moved to Tucson in 1912, Sharlot never saw her brother again, although she did attend his funeral in 1928.

    Learn More |
  • Edward J. Boblett as a Child

    Edward J. Boblett, nephew to Sharlot M. Hall, as a child sitting on a chair.

    Learn More |
  • Edward Leonard Boblett as a child

    Edward Leonard Boblett (b. 1891, d. 1956) was the eldest child of Sharlot M. Hall's first cousin, Samuel M. Boblett, and his wife, Minnie Bargemann.

    Learn More |
  • Graining stones at Sharlot Hall Museum

    Graining stones at Sharlot Hall Museum. Photo taken by Mr. and Mrs. Ernst Behrend during visit to museum.

    Learn More |
  • Horses and cows before fence at Orchard Ranch

    Horses and cows before fence at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses and cows in front of fence with water mill at Orchard Ranch

    Horses and cows in front of fence, with water mill at left at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses at Orchard Ranch

    Horses in front of fence at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses at Orchard Ranch

    Horses at Orchard Ranch. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses, pigs and chickens at Orchard Ranch

    Horses, pigs, chickens and men in front of wagon at Orchard Ranch in winter. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |

Items 31 to 45 of 324 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction
Switch View